Dear Library Users,
I hope that you are satisfied with the service that our Library provides! This service is not to be taken for granted: the funding allocated to the Library by the University of Konstanz has been decreased over the last few years, forcing us to buy fewer new journals, books and media and to save money in other areas as well, for instance on staff expenses and book areas.
Regardless of these restrictions, we strive to provide the best possible service. And you can help us do so in two ways.
- You can donate a sum of money to help us increase our collection. We will recompense you by marking the items bought with your money with a suitable book plate . We are also happy to issue a charitable donations certificate. Feel free to contact me personally.
- If you want to support us with a donation of 1,000 euros or more, we can thank you in other ways as well and offer services in return. If you are prepared to donate a larger sum of money, I would greatly appreciate meeting you in person. That way, we can discuss your goals, how you want your money to be invested and what we can offer in return. I am happy to meet you in your own home if this is more convenient.
Thank you very much for your kind support. I look forward to welcoming you among the circle of our donors and sponsors!
Sponsored objects and sponsors
Complete edition of the works of Bach
In 2000, the year of the Bach anniversary, Manfred Köhler from Konstanz-Litzelstetten donated a valuable edition of Bach's collected works to the music collection of the library: Bach, Johann Sebastian: Neue Ausgabe sämtlicher Werke / Johann Sebastian Bach. Published by the Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Institut Göttingen and the Bach-Archiv Leipzig. - Leipzig: Deutscher Verlag für MusikGemeinschaftsausg. mit d. Bärenreiter-Verl., Kassel, Basel, Tours, London. - Later published by Bärenreiter, Kassel [i.a.], . - Suppl.: Bach-Dokumente (Bach documents)
Shelfmark: mus 900:b118:a/t54
Begin, Émile A. B. J.: Voyage pittoresque en Espagne et en Portugal (Picturesque voyage through Spain and Portugal)
Thanks to the generous support of the Siemens Dematic AG Konstanz, the Library was able to acquire a copy of Émile Auguste Nicolas Jules Bégin’s “Voyage pittoresque en Espagne et en Portugal”.
Bégin, Émile Auguste Nicolas Jules: Voyage pittoresque en Espagne et en Portugal / par Émile Bégin. Illustrations de MM. Rouargue Frères. - Paris: Belin- Leprieur et Morizot, 1852. - XII, 556 S. : Ill.
Shelfmark: R 103/16
Geistlicher Bluthandel - eine Straßburger Hus-Flugschrift aus dem Jahre 1525 (Spiritual blood trade - a Straßburg Hus pamphlet from 1525)
We were able to buy this volume thanks to a generous donation from Peter Ehlers, MD, from Konstanz.
Geistlicher Bluthandel Johannis Hußz : zu Costentz verbrannt Anno Domini M.CCCC.XV. am sechsten tag Julij. Mit gegen vergleichung göttlicher schrifft, vnd Bäpstlicher satzungen. [Straßburg]: [Johann Schott], . -  bl. : 28 Holzschnitt-Ill.
Shelfmark: R 96/192
In February 1996, an extraordinarily rare Hus volume published during the Reformation was sold at an antiquities fair. It is called “Geistlicher Bluthandel. Johannis Hussz zu Constenz verbrannt...” and was published in 1525 in Straßburg. It is the first and only German edition of this work about the Hus trial in Konstanz. The volume is of considerable importance to historians of the book and of the printing press, especially since its 28 woodcuts represent the first picture story ever printed in Germany. Since its foundation, the University Library has collected publications around the topic of Hus and Hussites. Over the years, we were able to collect enough material for an entire collection of Hussitica, which has evolved into one of the most comprehensive collections of its kind in Germany. However, due to limited budgetary means we were not able to acquire this important Hus volume ourselves, which is why we are very grateful to Dr Peter Ehlers (head physician from Konstanz) for the generous donation that enabled us to do so. Professor Alexander Patschovsky, Chair of Medieval History, gave an introduction to the work on the occasion of its presentation to the public on 9 July 1996. Christina Egli’s essay on the topic, published in issue 68 of Bibliothek aktuell, is based on this lecture.
Konstanzer Handschrift von 1417 (Konstanz manuscript from 1417)
Acquiring this manuscript was made possible through the generous support of:
- Badische Landesbausparkasse
- Maggi GmbH Singen
- Sparkasse Bodensee
- SÜDKURIER Konstanz
- University of Konstanz Society (UGK)
Aegidius (Romanus): De regimine principum.[Abschrift beendet in Konstanz am Tag des hl. Pelagius (28. Aug.) 1417]. -Konstanz 1417. - [216 Bl.]Enth. außerdem: Ethica Nicomachea / Aristoteles. Lat. Übersetzung von Robert Grosseteste. - Rhetorica / Aristoteles. Lat. Übersetzung von Wilhelm von Moerbeke.- Handschrift
Shelfmark: H 56/1
Marey, Étienne Jules: La méthode graphique, 1878
The Library was able to acquire “La méthode graphique” by Étienne Jules Marey thanks to the generous support of the University of Konstanz Society. This rare and valuable volume was presented to the Library by the University of Konstanz Society on 18 June 2002. The gift satisfied a long-held ambition of the university’s art historians. Marey experimented with graphics and measurements, managing to visualise spatiotemporal correlations. For instance, he developed an apparatus for measuring and recording horse gallop or a table depicting the time that fast and slow trains need to travel a particular distance.
Marey, Étienne-JulesLa méthode graphique dans les sciences expérimentales et principalement en physiologie et en médecine / par E. J. MareyParis : Masson, 1878. - XIX, 673 S. : Ill., zahlr. graph. Darst.
Shelfmark: R 102/11
Point of view : an anthology of the moving image
Thanks to the generous support of the University of Konstanz Society, the Library was able to add the volume “Point of view” to its collection.
Point of view : an anthology of the moving image / Prod.: Ilene Kurtz-Kretzschmar, ... New Museum of Contemporary Art. -[New York] : Bick Prod. 2003. - 11 DVDs in one case/cover.
Shelfmark: 5 kun 99:v42/k97
Thanks to the generous support of the Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG in Grafenhausen-Rothaus, the Library was able to add numerous volumes to its textbook collection. They are marked with a Rothaus book plate.
The Library was able to acquire current literature on the topic of management thanks to the generous donation by EADS Defense Electronics in Friedrichshafen.
The following companies and businesses kindly provided us with the means to extend our law collections by more than 100 volumes:
- Nomos-Verlagsgesellschaft (Nomos publishing company), Baden-Baden
- AchSo!-Verlag (AchSo! publishing company), Cologne
- Haufe Mediengruppe (Haufe Media), Freiburg i. Br.
Sponsored journal subscriptions
The Library was able to subscribe to the following journals thanks to generous financial support:
- American Journal of Pathology (ALTANA Pharma Deutschland since 1998)
- Art - das Kunstmagazin (Mr Wolfram Vogel)
- IO - new management (KonNet since 2004)
- Lancet (ALTANA Pharma Deutschland since 1998)
- The Mathematical Intelligencer (Dr Ralf Genannt since 2006)
- Nature (ALTANA Pharma Deutschland since 1998)
- Science (ALTANA Pharma Deutschland since 1998)
Ancient craftwork collections of the University of Konstanz
Besides its book collections, the University of Konstanz Library also houses a permanent collection of ancient craftwork; it was exhibited in small display cabinet-like spaces in book area G (humanities) from 1989 until 2011. The collection has been placed in storage for the duration of the renovation works.
The following businesses, institutions and private parties have provided financial support to the Library, helping us acquire extraordinary works or various journals, which would not have been possible on our regular budget:
- AchSo! Verlag (AchSo! publishing company)
- Thanks to the generous support of the AchSo! publshing company in Cologne, the University of Konstanz Library was able to add 70 legal volumes to its collections.
- ALTANA Pharma (now Nycomed)
- Due to the generous financial support provided to the University of Konstanz Library by ALTANA Pharma Deutschland, we have been able to subscribe to the following scientific journals since 1998: American Journal of Pathology, Lancet, Science and Nature.
- Badische Landesbausparkasse
- We have the Badische Landesbausparkasse (LBS Baden-Württemberg now) to thank for being able to acquire the “Konstanzer Handschrift” (Konstanz manuscript) from 1417.
- Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG
- Thanks to the generous support of the Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG in Grafenhausen-Rothaus, the University of Konstanz Library was able to add various volumes to its textbook collection. They are marked with a special Rothaus book plate.
- Dr Wolfram Dufner
- We have the former ambassador Dr Wolfram Dufner to thank for our collection of ancient craftwork.
- EADS Defense Electronics
- Thanks to the generous support of EADS Defense Electronics (Friedrichshafen), the Library received a batch of current management textbooks.
- Dr Peter Ehlers (MD)
- We have Dr Peter Ehlers, MD, to thank for the following acquisition: Geistlicher Bluthandel Johannis Hußz (spiritual blood trade Johannis Hußz) (pamphlet published in 1525).
- Haufe Mediengruppe
- Thanks to the generous support provided by the Haufe Mediengruppe in Freiburg, the Library was able to expand its law collection by several volumes.
- KonNet e.V. (Netzwerk Konstanzer Verwaltungswissenschaftler)
- Generous financial support was provided by the KonNet association to help us finance our subscription to the following journal: IO new management (wra 2/i37).
- Manfred Köhler
- A generous donation from Mr Manfred Köhler saw the addition to our collection of the following work: Bach, Johann Sebastian: Neue Ausgabe sämtlicher Werke (complete new edition).
- Maggi Werk Singen
- Maggi GmbH Singen am Hohentwiel provided the Library with the financial means to acquire the following work: Konstanzer Handschrift von 1417 (Konstanz manuscript dated 1417).
- Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft
- Thanks to the generous support of Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft in Baden-Baden, we were able to expand our law collection by 30 additional volumes.
- Siemens Dematic AG
- Siemens Dematic AG provided us with the financial means to acquire the following work: Bégin, Émile: Voyage pittoresque en Espagne et en Portugal (picturesque voyage through Spain and Portugal). 1852.
- Sparkasse Bodensee
- We have the Sparkasse Konstanz (now Sparkasse Bodensee) to thank for the following work: Konstanzer Handschrift von 1417 (Konstanz manuscript dated 1417).
- SÜDKURIER Konstanz
- The SÜDKURIER GmbH provided the Library with the means to acquire the following work: Konstanzer Handschrift von 1417 (Konstanz manuscript dated 1417).
- University of Konstanz Society (UGK)
- Thanks to the generous financial support provided by the University of Konstanz Society (UGK), the Library was able to acquire the following works: Konstanzer Handschrift von 1417 (Konstanz manuscript dated 1417), Marey, Étienne Jules: La methode graphique, 1878 and Point of view : an anthology of the moving image, 2003.
- Wolfram Vogel
- We have Mr Wolfram Vogel to thank for having been able to subscribe to the journal “art - Das Kunstmagazin” (kun 2/a36) for years.