How do I create my own mailing list?
Creating a new mailing list is very simple, but please be aware that [a lot of] responsibility and some work comes with it.
Conditions for creating a new mailing list:
- The mailing list's topic must bear reference to the University of Konstanz.
- A responsible person is needed, who is either a staff member or professor at the University of Konstanz. The responsible person may deputise a list admin.
- At least one person must permanently manage the mailing list as a list admin (configuration, member management, moderation, content checking etc.).
If you want to create a mailing list, please send an email to email@example.com. In this email, please mention the list's name (only ASCII characters without blanks or umlauts), the responsible person, the topic and matter of the mailing list as well as the desired administrator of the list.
What kinds of mailing lists exist at the University of Konstanz?
A list of all current existing public mailing lists at the University of Konstanz can be found here:
How can I subscribe to a mailing list?
If you would like to subscribe to one or several existing mailing lists, please follow the link to our overview page: Mailing lists
Please fill out the online form on the "Subscription" page.
The required information for subscribing to a mailing list may vary.
You will always, however, have to provide a valid email address to which the messages of the mailing list will be sent. Further information may be required, such as:
- A password: A password is needed e.g. for accessing the mailing list's archive, changing your personal settings or cancelling your subscription.
- Digest / summary: Some mailing lists can be set up to send all messages sent to the list in a single email, which means that you will receive only one email per day, week or month. However, while bundling messages in this way may reduce the number of messages you receive, it will also inevitably delay delivery.
Some mailing lists may provide further options which you can customise according to your personal needs.
An overview of all public mailing lists at the University of Konstanz can be found on the Mailman server. Go to the start page of the relevant mailing list to subscribe.
How can I unsubcribe from a mailing list?
Unsubscribing from one or several mailing lists involves the same step: Follow the link: Mailing lists. Simply log in with the email address you use for receiving emails from the mailing list. You might be asked for your email list password. After logging in you can cancel your subscription with a single click of a button. You will receive a confirmation email in which you will be asked to confirm your cancellation.
You can unsubcribe via email from a mailing list. However you need to stick to a special email format. In general we recommend using the graphic user interface to unsubscribe from a mailing list. If, for any reason, you want to unsubscribe via email from a mailing list, please follow the instructions below:
Write an email with the subject: unsubscribe to the following email address: <name_of_mailing_list>-firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make absolutely sure that you are using the correct email address and please do not forget the add-on "-request" after the mailing list name in the email address. When unsubscrbing via email or via web interface you will receive an email to your email address to confirm your unsubscription. The unsubcription is finalised by clicking on the according link in the email.
How can I change my settings?
If you have subscribed to a mailing list and would like to change your personal settings [e.g. your email address], please follow the link on our overview page: Mailing lists
After logging in with your email address and password which you use for receiving email from the mailing list, you can change your personal settings.
In general you can change all settings with a specially formatted email. But because it is much easier, we recommend using the graphic user interface as described above. However, if for any reason, you want to change your settings via email, please follow the instructions below:
- Write an email to the following address:
Please make sure you use the correct email address and please do not forget the add-on "-request" after the mailing list name in the email address.
- The content of your email text consists only of two single words:
The subject of the email does not matter.
- Please send the email after checking the email address again (see 1.) and if the commands "help" and "end" are contained in the email text.
- You will then receive an email from the mailing list with detailed information about changing settings with "email commands".
How do I send an email to a mailing list?
In order to send an email to a mailing list, [in most cases] you need to subscribe to the list first. You can then send your email to the list by using the following address:
Sometimes emails cannot be delivered to the mailing list or need to be approved by a moderator beforehand. In such cases you will get a message form the mailing list system explaining why your email has not been delivered (yet).
Who will help me, if I don't know what to do?
Depending on what kind of problem you have, you may choose one of the following options:
- Questions and problems with a particular mailing list:
Please contact your mailing list administrator by sending an email to:
Please make sure to include the “-owner” part of the address.
- General questions and problems with mailing lists:
If you have general questions about mailing lists that we cannot answer here, please contact:
You are very welcome to contact the KIM Library and IT Support with your general questions and problems. Further information about our opening hours, our telephone support and personal consultation services are available on the following pages:Course information and support