The University of Konstanz established a publication fund in 2009 in order to financially support Open Access publishing. The fund is managed by the Communication, Information, Media Centre (KIM). The fund reimburses publication and article processing charges for publishing in Open Access journals. Funding is also available for Open Access publications like monographs, essays included in anthologies or for the transformation of subscription journals into Open Access journals.
Requirements for reimbursement of journal publication fees
(in accordance with DFG guidelines)
- Publication of an article in a “true” peer-reviewed Open Access journal. “True” Open Access journals provide all content online in full-text and free of charge at the time of publication.
- The Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) (DOAJ) must list the journal.
- University of Konstanz members who are either a “submitting author” or a “corresponding author” are responsible for paying fees.
- Publication fees of up to 2,000 euros per article will be fully reimbursed.
- Bills for publication fees of more than 2,000 euros will first need to be paid by the authors themselves. In a second step, a reimbursement of 2,000 euros can then be requested via an internal request form.
The University of Konstanz has secured a significant amount of financial resources for this fund through the German Research Foundation’s (DFG) “Open-Access Publishing Programme”, which provides funds to cover publication and article processing charges for publishing in Open Access journals.
- Feel free to contact us if you are an author and would like to learn more about our financial support options.
- If you are planning an Open Access publication, we will be happy to advise on which alternatives we can support financially;
- If you have already submitted or published a publication, we can explain your reimbursement options to you.
- If a reimbursement is possible, simply send us your bill (addressed to you) with the relevant publication details (author, title, journal, publisher) so we may settle it.
- Bills for publishing through the Open Access publishers “BioMedCentral” and “Frontiers” should be sent directly to the KIM and not to the authors. The University of Konstanz receives a membership discount from these publishers.