To check out books and other media you will need a library card:
- for students is this the UniCard
- colleages use their employee identity card
- external users get an external user card
You will need a password with the library card
- to reserve media that is currently checked-out.
- to order media through interlibrary loan.
- in order to access your library account.
- to access the internet on the library’s computers.
Your PIN number
- is also required in order to use the self check-out service.
- can be created using your library account.
Library card and password for:
Student ID card = Library card
University account password (Email password) = Library account password
Staff ID card (03/...) = Library card
You will receive a library account password from the lending service in the Library Information Centre. Special library cards are available for professors and staff. Both are available at the lending service desk.
Reserve shelf for staff members (17/...)
- borrow media to use in your office
- unlimited loan period
- limited amount of media
- Upon request, the media item must be made available to other users for one week.
Basic funding resources for C4 and W3 professors (13/...), (19/...)
- KIM library services are responsible for the acquisition of books and media.
- Once acquired, the media can be picked up at the lending service desk.
Semester reserve shelves (15/...)
- compilations of relevant literature for lectures
- further information and contact persons
You can receive an external ID card for the library, if you
- are at least 14 years old (persons under the age of 18 require a declaration of consent from their parents)
- are a resident of a country in the European Union or of Switzerland.
Library card fees:
|Yearly fee||30 euros|
|Monthly fee||10 euros|
Single loan fee (the library card is free, you pay instead per loan of a media item)
The following individuals are exempted from fees:
- Pupils (proof via pupil ID card)
- Students from other universities (proof via student ID card)
- Trainees / apprentices (documentation required)
- Recipients of unemployment benefits I and II or income assistance or other similar social benefits.
- Members of the University of Konstanz Alumni Association (VEUK e.V.) (VEUK)
- Other persons who are closely associated with the university (guest lecturers, research fellows, members of the Internationale Bodenseehochschule(IBH), as well as retired staff members of the University of Konstanz.
You will need to have the following documents:
- Personal ID card or passport with your “Meldebestätigung” (registration of residence) - which documents your exact address
- If you are under the age of 18: Declaration of consent from a legal guardian
- If applicable, the student ID card or proof of traineeship / apprenticeship, alumni membership, receiving social assistance, etc.
Important: the library card is only available for pick-up at the lending service counter.
Research in advance: Request your library card online through the local catalogue.
You can register provisionally when you research prior to your first library visit and reserve media in advance. Click on the option “request a library card” in the service menu on the left side of the local catalogue. After filling out and submitting the form, we will send you an email with a temporary card number and a password. We will send you an email notification when the books are ready for check-out. Your can then pick up your library card at the same time as your books.